1. CYCLEBAR. Looking for a New Year’s resolution workout that will last? CycleBar, a new concept in indoor cycling that offers a high-energy workout in a rock concert-like atmosphere, celebrated the opening of its first studio in Northern Colorado in December. Offering a unique exercise strategy that transforms both the body and spirit, CycleBar is part of the next
generation of boutique fitness that specializes on cycling but adds in arm and core sculpting for a full body experience. “More than 54 million Americans are working out at boutique fitness studios, which makes it the fastest growing sector of the fitness industry,” says Shelley Baca, CycleBar Fort Collins owner. “Fort Collins is such an active, vibrant area and CycleBar fits into our community’s health and fitness lifestyle while making the experience fun for both new and experienced riders.” CycleBar unites riders of all ages and fitness levels by creating an unparalleled multisensory, intoxicating 50-minute journey. Led by engaging, high-energy CycleStar instructors and fueled by incredible music playlists in a concert-like backdrop, CycleBar delivers far beyond a great cardio fitness workout. http://fortcollins.cyclebar.com.CONTACT: SHELLEY BACA ,FRANCHISE OWNER, 3300 S. College Avenue Suite 140 Fort Collins, CO 80525. 970.821.6437.
2. ADIOS, AVALON! One of Colorado’s most beloved DJ’s, DJ Avalon, moves to Puerto Rico this month, but not until the community gathers to wish her farewell for all of her contributions to music, dance, and the party scene of NoCo over the past few years. An accomplished artist and writer in addition to her noted achievements as a colorful, animated, and festive DJ known for crazy theme parties (Lisa Frank on Acid, Wild Wild Life, Celestial Bodies, and DIVAS, to name a few), Avalon has hosted many of the most memorable parties this once-upon-a-time Cowtown has ever seen and has also been a monthly columnist for Scene since 2015 (Column: Undoing Pink). There will be an all ages party at the Downtown Artery on January 5, with doors opening at 6 pm and DJ Jaedha Gray, another prominent DJ of the area, spinning tunes from 7 to 11 pm. Cash bar (beer/wine) and café will be open. This party is beach themed, so feel free to dress in your beachy best as we say “Adios” to the girl who upped the ante on the art of dance parties and gave us so many fun times to remember. $5 at the door. Information: downtownartery.com and there is a public Facebook invitation (search: Adios Avalon).
3. POLAR BEAR RUN & PLUNGE 2017. The annual Polar Bear Run & Plunge will take place at the South Bay of Horsetooth Reservoir on Saturday, January 21, 2017 with the 5K kicking off at 10 am. Last year, nearly 600 runners participated in the 5K, with several also taking part in the Polar Plunge following the walk/run race.
Individuals and teams are encouraged to register and there is special discounted pricing for those wishing to do both the 5K and the plunge. This event benefits the Larimer County Dive and Rescue Team, Animal House Rescue, and the Rocky Mountain High School and Poudre High School Cross Country Teams. 5K Registration includes an event t-shirt, free park pass, access to the hot chocolate and aid station, Polar Bear Party with live music, hot food, and snacks, and two complimentary beers or Bloody Marys (21+ with ID). Plunge registration includes a free park pass for the day, wool socks for the first 200 people who sign up, prize for best costume, and entry to the Polar Bear Party, plus two complimentary beers (21+ with ID). Get your costume ready and get ready to take the plunge at one of our area’s most fun, festive, and frosty events, all in the name of charity and community fun. Information and registration: frontrangefreeze.com
4. THE EAST COAST BAR. In November of 2014, bar owner Billy Chelales called it quits due to rising rent costs in Old Town. He shut down the original location of The East Coast Bar, which at one time also housed a bar operation upstairs called Lil Nick’s. This fall, The East Coast repopened across from its former location which was at 238 Linden Street (now home to Surfside 7). The new location is at 223 B Linden Street, in the same building as Wabi Sabi. The new bar has been renovated into a sleek, urban lounge, designed to offer intimate and comfortable surroundings with a unique vibe. The setting is comfortable, offers a full bar selection as well as menu offerings from the restaurant next door (think Asian style appetizers, sushi items), and, as always, the fun and warm hospitality of East Coast native, Billy. With a bar that boasts the slogan, “I KNOW BILLY,” you know you’re in for a level of camaraderie and old school friendliness that’s always appreciated. Check out the East Coast Bar on Facebook and at their new Linden Street digs when you’re out and about. @TheEastCoastBar Phone: 970.472.8265.
5. PREMIER SKIN CLINIC. Northern Colorado’s newest skin and body sculpting clinic has opened and offers a state-of-the-art laser treatment called Halo, a multifractional laser method that boasts zero downtime. Patients receiving Halo treatment experience minimal pain during the process, which takes just under an hour, and recovery is quicker than traditional laser methods in that both ablative and non-ablative laser techniques are used. Additionally, the clinic provides services ranging from SculpSure non-invasive body contouring, laser hair removal, threading, peels and facials, microdermabrasion, Broadband Light Therapy (“BBL”), Botox, fillers, and a full range of Zain Obagi “ZO” skincare products. The clinic is owned by Timo Quickert, MD, and Julie Quickert, NP, the founders of Premier Vein and Pain Clinic in Johnstown, along with Shayna Leone, Medical Aesthetician, and her husband, Chris Leone. Premier Skin Clinic is located at 1603 Oakridge Drive, Suite 200, Fort Collins, CO. (970) 221.1285 premierskinclinic.com
6. FIT5 Studio. FIT5 Studio has recently opened in Fort Collins and offers a unique workout program from Lagree Fitness™. “The Magic 5” workout is a 50 minute sessions addressing all five elements of physical fitness: cardio, strength, endurance, body composition, and flexibility. The session addresses each of these five elements in every move on the cornerstone of the Lagree Fitness Method: The Megaformer M3 machine. This training method is all about most effective intensity, stimulation of slow twitch,
fat burning muscle fibers and to finding the most effective triggers for your body and mind: staying out of your comfort zone, raising the bar and turning your body into a “24-hour after-burn” EPOC, fat-burning muscle conditioning machine without endless ineffective hours in the gym. This Method allows you to maximize your results and to reach your intensity threshold by using an additional “Magic 5” key elements of most effective muscle stimulation: Effective Resistance, Effective Range of Motion, Effective Angle, Effective Tempo, and Effective Duration. FIT5 Studio is owned by Sora Gagne, a certified instructor in Pilates and Barre Fitness as well as Lifestyle and Weight Management. Information: 4637 S. Mason Street, Unit A1, Fort Collins, CO 80525. Website: www.fit5studio.com. Phone: 970.775.3955