- FCMOA MASKS EXHIBIT, GALA: The Fort Collins Museum of Art, along with sponsors Eye Center of Northern Colorado and Kaiser Permanente, will launch their annual Masks Exhibition Friday, April 7, from 5 to 9 pm at the museum (201 S. College Ave.), during First Friday Gallery Walk. The Masks Project is in its 13th year and features a select mask rendition that is then decorated by community members, including some of our most renowned artists of this region. Additionally, high school students participate in the Masks Project each year, and the museum fills its galleries with all of the masks on display, with a silent auction bidding process in place until the exhibit closes on Friday, May 7 at First Friday Gallery Walk, 6:30 to 9:30 pm. At that time, bidding will end and final bids will be recorded and winners contacted for mask purchase. There is open admission at the First Friday events, courtesy of Eye Center of Northern Colorado. On Friday, April 21, the museum will host their annual Masks Gala from 6:30 to 10:00 pm at the Hilton-Fort Collins (425 W. Prospect Rd.), and will honor local artist, Masks contributor, and art patron, Gwen Hatchette, the 2016 Roz Spencer Award Recipient. For details about the Masks Project, Exhibition, and Gala, visit: ftcma.org, 970.482.2787.
- 3RD ANNUAL STAGING YOUTH SHOWCASE: Maple Street Music with Music Go Round and Aggie Theatre present the 3rd Annual Staging Youth Showcase at Aggie Theatre on April 9. This unique show pairs local high school students with music industry professionals from around the region. The students and professionals start working together in March and continue until the culminating performance in April. The skilled students spend time with musician and artist mentors in the program, getting to know the industry from behind the scene: ticket sales, promotions, social media activity, rehearsals, merchandising, and more. This year’s lineup of professionals includes Post Paradise, Maxwell Mud, Last Call Romance, Tyler T., The Fort Collins Chamber Music Society, Kevin Kirchner, Daryl Love, Chris Fernald, Andrew Waltman, Jessica Hazlett, Vincent Burkardt, and Sara Durnil. In addition, the Fort Collins Chamber Music Society will perform mainstream music between sets. The idea of the showcase came when Sara Durnil, co-owner of Maple Street Music Agency, saw through her son that high school students were falling out of love with music because of a lack of alternatives to traditional classes. Additional support for the Showcase comes from The Music District, Kind Dub, Mainline Ale House, and Cohere Bandwidth. Tickets are $10/$7 students in advance; $13/$10 students at door. Doors at 3pm, show from 4-9pm. Information: maplestreetmusicagency.com
- 13 NAILS + FEISTY SPIRITS: Northern Colorado horror rock band 13 Nails collaborated recently with Fort Collins-based distillery Feisty Spirits to create a limited edition whiskey called “GRAVEDIGGER,” named after the 13 Nails song of the same title. Additionally, the band and distillery raised $700 for Easter Seals’ Loveland, CO location, with specific designation to help fund its music program that works with challenged adults. 13 Nails is a four piece act that tours regularly, plays locally as well, and that have opened for numerous national acts in the past four years. Feisty Spirits was founded by then business partners Dr. David Monahan and Jamison Gulden and became Fort Collins’ first distillery. As of last year, Gulden has become sole owner as Monahan moved on to pursue other business interests. The company has previously collaborated with other bands, including Fierce Bad Rabbit (Better Days Bourbon) and others, and makes 20+ limited and ongoing editions of organic, specialty whiskeys and spirits, sold throughout Colorado. Information: 13nailsband.com and feistyspirits.com
- 2ND ANNUAL LIVE BODY PAINTING EXPERIENCE: Du’Tell Events and Mountainside Events, in collaboration with Fusion Night Club, will present “Soul Painting Glamour and Glow: The Blacklight Art Show” on April 15. The event starts at 7 pm and ends at 10 pm at Fusion, 351 Linden Street, Fort Collins, and features up to 10 local artists and their models in a unique art competition where models will be body painted with blacklight and glow paints in one-of-a-kind designs and judged by a select panel. DJ DR3W will provide music entertainment for the night and the club will feature happy hour food and drink specials throughout the event. 21+, $10. Tickets available on Eventbrite.com (search: Soul Painting Glamour and Glow). Information: mountainsideevents.com, showcasingdutellevents.com, fusionfortcollins.com
- EXPERIENCE FORT COLLINS: Experience Fort Collins has hit the Fort Collins happenings scene! Formerly The Scoop Blog Network, Experience Fort Collins is a team of Fort Collins writers who are sharing ways to live your life to the fullest in our community. Founded and run by Kristin Mastre, the
y highlight food and drink, outdoor adventures, arts and entertainment, history, family-friendly activities, farming and gardening, cannabis, and city growth. In conjunction with their community writing, Kristin has also launched a brand new Experience Fort Collins podcast, talking with people who are making their mark in our community about the best and worst aspects of living in Fort Collins, and what each person would consider a bucket list experience right here in our own city. Find a link to the podcast and each community site on ExperienceFortCollins.com or email Kristin at Kristin@TheScoopBlogs.com
- EARTH DAY 2017: Earth Day encourages community members to honor the Earth EVERY DAY and make efforts toward conservation and preservation of our planet for current and future generations. This year’s Earth Day festivities take place on April 22, 11 am to 5 pm, at Civic Center Park in Old Town Fort Collins. The festival is hosted by the Sustainable Living Association and consists of a combination of events and activities for the entire family. Featured this year will be informational booths and displays, a Kids’ Zone that includes arts and crafts,live music featuring Ginger Whale, speakers, local food, and a beer garden. For information on events, visit: sustainablelivingassociation.org/event/earth-day-fort-collins